Functional skills are practical skills in English, maths and information and communication technology (ICT) that enable confidence, effectiveness and independence both at work and in everyday life. Functional skills also form a mandatory part of an apprenticeship framework.
Benefits of offering functional skills with Active IQ In order to support our total qualification solution offering, Active IQ is now able to offer functional skills to its approved centres through its partnership with Skillsfirst. Centres approved to deliver functional skills with Active IQ will also benefit from maintaining continuity of external quality assurance via their existing external verifier.
Both onscreen and paper-based tests are available and centres are also provided with a range of interactive online support materials to help tutors prepare learners for their functional skills assessments. Further features and benefits include:
- Onscreen assessment delivery, fully on-demand with colour preferences to suit all learners (exams can be taken 30 minutes after registering the learner).
- Paper-based exam options available.
- Results released within four weeks of the exam being uploaded (onscreen).
- Ongoing reviews of papers to improve clarity and learner performance.
- No fee for voiding examinations (paper-based or onscreen).
- No limitations on resits.
- Develop your own SLC tasks.
- Senior examiner reports available to help improve learner performance.
- Practice papers available (PDF and Flash versions available to emulate onscreen assessment).
- Tutorial videos showing users how to navigate testing software.
- Weekly performance statistics available.
How can my centre become approved to offer functional skills with Active IQ?
If you are already an approved Active IQ centre, you’ll need to complete an Additional Qualification Approval Form and submit this to us. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a form.
Centres that are not currently approved to offer our qualifications will need to apply for centre approval. Click here for more details. If you would like to find out more about offering functional skills with Active IQ, please contact email@example.com
What are the fees for functional skills?
£15.25 plus VAT per functional skill.
Is there a resit fee if learners fail their functional skills exam(s)?
Yes, the fee is £13 plus VAT per functional skill.